Simon says: DEC! update - Autumn term 2021
Rok is proud to be an industry adopter and sponsor of the Design Engineer Construct! (DEC) course in Jersey.
When Simon Forestiero joined Highlands and Hautlieu in September 2021 as Design Engineer Construct! (DEC!) teacher, course sponsors like Rok were excited about the potentially powerful partnership between education and industry in nurturing the future of Jersey's built environment industry. As the academic year progressed, it was clear that the course and the industry adopter model of education was hugely beneficial for the students' learning - all of which was enhanced by the dedication and passion of their teacher, who went above and beyond to champion the course.
From the teacher's desk - DEC! teacher at Hautlieu School, Simon Forestiero's LinkedIn posts from September - December 2021 provides an insight into some of the unique and powerful learning experiences benefiting Jersey's students:
1. Classroom visit: Stephen Featherstone, Director of Llewelyn Davies spoke to students about his role as Our Hospital Project's (OHP) Lead Architect and provided them feedback on their early site analysis coursework
2. Working with forward-thinking professionals: OHP's design and delivery partner, RokFCC JV, in partnership with Mind Jersey and Highlands College developed a mental health module to be embedded into every construction course taught at Highlands from September 2021
3. Classroom visits facilitated by OHP Legacy Director, Richard De Gruchy: Peter Garforth of Morris Architects showed the Year 10/ Level 2 DEC! students how to develop a Schedule of Accommodation; and Ryan Blakely of engineering firm, Arup, discussed with the Year 12/ Level 3 DEC! students, the key moral and financial drivers for minimising construction waste
4. Hands-on experience: Eric Rouquie, Project Manager at Rok, showed DEC! students how to use a theodolite and conducted a topographical survey of the Hautlieu School lawn
5. First concept models: Students show amazing progress via their DEC! course assessment work, to design a healthcare facility at Overdale
6. Video: Simon explains to parents and students the unique selling points of the DEC! course
7. Presentations to professionals: DEC! students presented their healthcare facility design concepts to industry professionals and the founder of the DEC! course
For more information on the DEC! course:
Follow on the #DECinJsy and Simon Forestiero on social media platforms: LinkedIn and Twitter